Thursday, June 27, 2019

14A - Halfway Reflection

For this exercise, I'd like you reflect on the past two months. In your post for this exercise, pretend that you're talking to a student from next semester's course. What would you tell them? 
  1. Tenaciousness is a competency. What are the behaviors that you have used (or developed) to keep up with the requirements of this course? 
    1. I keep all my course deadlines in my calendar with reminders for when I should start working on them! This helps me remember deadlines and also reminds me to start early and have enough time to do the assignment well.
  2. Tenaciousness is also about attitude. Talk about a moment or two when you felt like "giving up." What pulled you through? Do you feel like you've developed a tenacious attitude during the past two months? What experience or experiences most contributed to this?
    1. Absolutely! When you start these assignments (especially at the last minute), it's easy to look at the instructions and be upset at what seems like a long and tedious assignment. However, that changes with your mindset. Once I began looking past the instructions at the true meaning and use of these assignments, they became much more enjoyable to complete. 
  3. Three tips. What are three tips you would offer next semester's student about (1) fostering the skills that support tenacity and (2) developing the 'tenacious mindset' ?
    1. (1) Keep yourself on a good schedule and make sure you have ample time to complete the assignments. You wont be able to get the most out of them if you're just rushing through. (2) Start with a business concept that you really really care about. Take the time to think of something that you will want to build upon. The follow assignments expanding upon it will be fun if you are passionate about the concept. (3) Look beyond the instructions of the assignment to see why you are really doing these tasks. You're not just describing and dividing a market into segments, you're doing research, digging deeper, and asking questions to learn more about an industry that you're passionate about.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Olivia,

    This course requires good time management, for sure. Staying on top of lectures, cupcakes, peer reviews, and three full assignments for each week requires a good sense of timing and spacing out of coursework. It was smart to point out that thinking about the meaning of the assignments and how they can benefit us as entrepreneurs is vital to enjoying the coursework, as opposed to viewing it as simple boring busy work. Every assignment in the class is intertwined and they all come together to complete a solid entrepreneur-style education.

    Jonah Brafman

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Olivia,

    In your post you encourage other students to see that ENT3003 is a fun learning structure beyond just accomplishing assignments. The course certainly requires diligence in giving enough time to accomplish each set of tasks and your advice to schedule each assignment into a personal calendar is a great way to stay on top the material. The part that seems most difficult is coming up with an idea that we can follow through with for the entire course. In fact, I have heard the professor say several times that often the entrepreneurship journey reveals how the idea is nonviable. Overall, well written post.

    Best Regards,

    Suzanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Olivia,

    I totally agree with a lot of what you're saying. I feel you. Theres a lot of self discipline needed in this course. I definitely underestimated the workload as well. I really like what you said on one of your tips. I like how you talked about making sure you begin with a business concept you're really interested in, because I feel like running a business that doesn't fundamentally interest you can be a recipe for disaster. Overall, Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Olivia,

    I love how organized you are and have been. It seems as if you really have a grip on time management. I also agree that beginning the assignments be a bit discouraging, but as you stated, when you continue to go along, you are now being forced to come out of your comfort zone. Luckily for most os us, coming out of our comfort zone for this class has actually turned into a comfortable zone.

    ReplyDelete